Notes To Ponder
by Hermanus W. Smeenk
In our pursuit to cling to our everyday Christian way of life, we are constantly being bombarded in this world with negative thoughts, encouragement towards unbridled selfishness and pride in our accomplishments, hatred and jealousy towards others because of their good fortune, and a kindling of covetousness towards the material things of this world. The following notes are presented to help us to combat the delusions of this world and lift our thoughts towards the higher plane of God's ways.
- "Those things which often appear so beautiful many times are found to hide so much ugliness."
- "Many an hour can be wasted searching for something that's right beneath our noses."
- "I searched the world over for something I found in heaven."
- "The teachings and deeds of a person having a gentle and peaceably disposed nature are remembered longer than those of a quick tempered tyrant."
- "If half the world treated the other half with compassion and concern for their health and well-being, it may result in peace among all humanity."
- "The optimist sees a glass as half-full, the pessimist sees a glass as half-empty, but the wise man knows that it'll take the optimist and the pessimist the same amount of time to empty the glass."
- "Peace is not that which has been won by the victor of an altercation but which comes about from the mutual agreement of individuals to respect one another's opinions and way of life."
- "Getting along with each other comes not only from accepting the other person's opinions or ideas, but also from respecting that person's right to formulate his/her own opinions."
- "The optimist revels in the beauty of a sunset, the pessimist sees only the coming night, but the wise man will reflect on the blessings he received during the day."
- "Many conflicts have been started because of the fear of a group of individuals about those things that they don't understand and are afraid may be forced upon them."
- "Prejudice arises from the intolerance of one group of individuals towards another group's culture."
- "The pessimist sees a decrepit old house as junk, the optimist sees the house as a restoration project, but the wise man will tear it down and build something more glorious."
- "Many short-term gains have translated into long-term losses."
- "An arrogant individual's attitude towards others is as 50 grain sandpaper is to balsa wood."
- "Friendliness is as dew on the grass but contempt like a hail storm on a wheat field."
- "Aggressiveness tempered with kindness is like an abrasive used with oil"
- "It's impossible for us to be thankful for blessings received while we remain focused on those things that we covet."
- "There can be no forgiveness when there is no forgetfulness."
- "Pride goes before a fall because you can't see where you're going when your nose is pointing into the air."
- "Hate engenders a bitter spirit but love brings its sweet rewards."
Return to Homepage
Return to Uncle H's Hideaway